What You Need to Know about Overdraft and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but UICCU pays it anyway so that the transaction is not immediately declined.
What are the different ways an overdraft can be covered?
We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans by calling (800) 397-3790 or by visiting any branch location.
- Automatic Overdraft Transfers from deposit accounts. Funds transfer in $100 increments from a linked account to cover overdraft transactions. We will charge you a fee of $6 (plus sales tax) for each transfer.
The rest of this page explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
The default standard is UICCU will authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number (including ACH transactions)
- Automatic bill payments (including recurring monthly payments)
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion; we do not guarantee we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
Can I request that UICCU authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
Yes, you can request that your account be granted extended coverage and UICCU will authorize and pay overdrafts on your ATM and everyday debit card transactions. To request extended coverage for your account call (800) 397-3790, visit us at any branch location, or complete the form below with the “Extended Coverage” option selected.
What fees will I be charged if UICCU pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We charge a fee of $29.50 - $34 (plus sales tax) based on number of occurrences. (Maximum of $195 per day)
- There is a limit of $195.00 on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account per day. We recommend that all members make use of online or mobile banking to keep track of account balances.
Can I change or revoke authorization for UICCU to pay overdrafts for transactions?
Yes. If you’ve previously requested extended coverage but would like to change back to the default standard practice you can make that request by calling us at (800) 397-3790, by visiting any branch location or by completing the form below with the “Standard Coverage” option selected.
If you’d like to revoke all authorization to pay overdrafts on any type of transaction, including checks and bill pay, you can make that request by calling us at (800) 397-3790, by visiting any branch location or by completing the form below with the “Revoke All Coverage” option selected.
The form below may not be processed immediately. Please allow at least one business day for your change request to be processed.