Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds recently signed the state’s budget bill into law. This bill carries an amendment stating that credit unions "shall not include the name of any public university located in the state in its name.” This requires University of Iowa Community Credit Union (UICCU) to change its name by April 30 of next year. The UICCU Board of Directors met on June 9th and voted unanimously to comply with the law and move forward with the change.
UICCU will keep members notified each step of the way during the process, starting with answers to some of the anticipated questions.
- Why is the UICCU changing its name? Governor Kim Reynolds signed the state budget bill into law in June. The bill included an amendment that requires UICCU to change its name.
- When will the name change occur? We will work toward the deadline of April 30, 2019.
- What is the history of our name? Our cooperative was established in 1938 as the State University of Iowa Hospital Employees Credit Union. It was created to serve the staff of the University hospital. In 1966 it expanded to serve all staff, students, and alumni when it became the University of Iowa Credit Union. In 1988, the word “community” was added to the name when UICCU expanded its charter to serve residents that were not necessarily tied to the University of Iowa.
- Since becoming a community-chartered credit union in 1988, what percentage of our 175,000 members are NOT connected to the University of Iowa (as staff, students, or alumni)? We estimate that figure to be about 75%.
- What happens between now and April? UICCU will form a committee to create and vet possible names. It will present its ideas and options to the Board of Directors for approval in the late summer or possibly fall. The selected name will be announced to the membership soon after. UICCU staff will then take the steps to prepare for the April change.
- Do the members need to vote to approve the new name? Current Credit Union law does not require a membership vote for a name change.
- What guidelines will you follow in creating the name? We will develop a name that is simple and not geographically constraining. We will work to create a name that is welcoming and reflects the cooperative’s values and heritage.
- Will a name change inhibit our success? UICCU measures “success” by
- how much we give back to our members,
- how well we support our communities,
- and how well we provide for our staff.
- What will the name change cost the cooperative? We are very early into this process, but we estimate the cost of a name change (signage, documents, collateral material, card plastics, trademarks, communications, etc.) to be roughly $2.5 million. For perspective, this estimate is 0.9% of our projected annual revenue.
- Will the change impact the products, services, staffing, pricing or locations of the UICCU? No. This will be a change in name only. There will not be a change to staff, branches, products, or member account numbers. There will be no need to order new debit cards, credit cards, or checks.
- Can our members submit ideas for a new name? Absolutely! Simply visit UICCU.ORG and click on the “FEEDBACK” button to submit your thoughts and ideas. We’d love to hear from you.