Q: I have a UICCU loan and am being charged for Collateral Protection Insurance / I have a UICCU loan and need to provide proof of insurance, what should I do?

A: This is handled through UICCU’s loan tracking center. Please contact Allied Solutions at 1-800-653-8812. You may also fax proof of insurance to 1-800-709-4817.

Q: What is the difference between full coverage and liability only on my auto policy?

A: Full coverage refers to the comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage for damages to your vehicle, less the deductible. Comprehensive includes theft, being run into by a deer, and weather, for example. Collision includes collisions with other vehicles or stationary objects. Liability refers to the coverage for damages you cause to other people and their property. If you carry liability-only coverage, you do not have coverage for damages to your vehicle. Iowa law requires that you carry liability coverage on your vehicle.

Q: Is my rental car covered / Do I need to purchase rental car insurance?

A: If you have full coverage on your insurance policy, your liability limits and deductibles will typically carry over to a rental car rented and driven in the U.S. or Canada – but it is always recommended that you purchase the insurance offered by the rental car company. If you choose not to, please be aware that you may be responsible for loss of revenue and diminished value if the vehicle is damaged. Also keep in mind that any claims on your policy can follow you up to 5-6 years and could affect your premium. You may also want to check with your credit card company to see what/if additional coverage is provided! Policy coverage typically does not extend when renting or driving a vehicle outside of the U.S. or Canada.

Q: Is glass damage covered on my auto insurance policy?

A: Provided you have comprehensive coverage on the vehicle, most companies will cover a glass chip at no cost as long as it is repairable . If the glass/windshield needs replaced, that will typically be subject to your comprehensive deductible. Contact Safelite at 1-877-664-8931 to make an appointment!

Q: I just got a job as a food delivery driver. Does my auto insurance policy cover this?

A: Probably not, your personal auto insurance policy is not designed to cover business use such as deliveries. Check with your agent to make sure you have adequate coverage!

Q: I’m thinking about working as an Uber/Lyft driver. Does my auto insurance policy cover this?

A: Driving for a ride-sharing company may leave gaps in your personal auto insurance coverage and expose you to potential risks. Most companies exclude coverage while you are logged into the app but without a passenger – your ride-sharing company provides very limited insurance during this period. Check with your agent to make sure you have adequate coverage!

Q: Is my child eligible for the Good Student Discount?

A: This is a discount most companies offer on the auto insurance policy. To be eligible, they must be a full-time high school or college student under the age of 25. They must also hold a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B average or higher). Send us a copy of their grade transcript to start saving!

Q: Why do I need to add my spouse/live-in relative to my auto insurance policy?

A: Typically, most insurance companies will require spouses and other related members of the household to be listed on your auto insurance policy. Related members of the household are seen as individuals who have regular access to your keys and vehicle and therefore need to be assessed as a risk!

Q: Why should I bundle my home and auto insurance?

A: Most companies offer a generous multi-policy discount when you bundle more than one policy! Deciding to go with only auto or home insurance instead of both may also limit the number of companies that are available as options.

Q: Does my homeowner’s insurance cover flood?

A: No. Flood is not covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy and you will need a separate flood policy for flood coverage!

Q: I’m thinking about purchasing a pool, hot tub, or trampoline – is this an issue with my insurance company?

A: Not necessarily! Some companies just have certain guidelines to follow to make these risks eligible while some companies do not allow them at all. Check with our agency to be sure!

Q: I just had my roof replaced, should I tell my agent?

A: Yes! Always inform your agency of updates and renovations so that your policy is up to date with accurate information. A new roof may even earn you a discount! Keep all receipts and invoices as most companies require proof.

Q: We just installed a burglar/fire alarm system, should I tell my agent?

A: Yes! Some companies offer discounts for certain safety precautions, such as a burglar or fire alarm system. Be sure to keep you alarm system certificate as proof.

Q: I’m young, I don’t need life insurance yet.

A: Wrong! You are never too young to start thinking about life insurance. There are different types and amounts of coverage available to fit your needs – speak with one of our agents to find out what’s best for you!

Q: I received a letter about free life insurance through the University of Iowa Community Credit Union. How do I obtain this?

A: This is handled through UICCU’s third-party company CUNA Mutual. Please contact them at 1-877-636-2377 for more information and inquiries.

UICCU Insurance Logo

24-hour claims & service | 877-527-3493

Get a quote:

Current policy holders:


Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sat: Closed

Non-deposit investment products such as insurance are not FDIC or NCUA insured, are not guaranteed by the bank/financial institution, and are subject to risks, including possible loss of the principal investment.